Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Status Epilepticus

Though this website is dedicated to PNES (psychogenic nonepileptic seizures), I am going to post this time on epilepsy. For those of us who have both disorders.

I just returned home from the intensive care unit having somehow allowed my Dilantin level drop to 4. Not sure at this time how I am missing doses, my brother will be staying with me for a few days to see if I'm having petit mals.

This is such a grave reminder to me of the cost - emotional and physical, these disorders are. I am black and blue from the thighs down, I'm not sure why. Fortunately I have Lifeline and that was triggered and rescue came.

I don't really think of my seizures as 'real' as so many medical professionals have reflected to me that they are 'faking'.

I preach how real they are to my readers and patients and support them with their doubts and fears. However I am right there with them, feeling that same ghostly feeling of 'I don't have anything'...

I do believe however while I'm in recovery phase, that the day is coming that we will know what this is, and what is happening in our noggins'. I believe folks like Steven Levine and many like him bridge that unhealthy gap between medicine and psychiatry.

And we will have more access to wholeness.

Be well,
Charlene

No comments: